Are you dreaming of airplane food, limited legroom, and the subtle dance of jockeying for the center armrest? Can you practically smell the recently stamped ink in your passport? If you are like so many of us here at the Global Leadership League, the call of foreign lands has been beckoning, and you have been itching to get back to traveling. While hopping on a plane might not be in the too near future still, we want to share a few ways for you to satiate your travel craving while never leaving the comfort of your couch. Here are some of our ideas…
1. Travel movies and videos. The internet is full of streaming options for accessing different travel videos, documentaries, and movies. Dim the lights, prep your favorite snack, and be prepared to be whisked away to another land. If you need a jumping-off point, here is an article showcasing 23 fresh international films for your viewing pleasure. Additionally, for our fellow Netflix fanatics, check out this list.
2. Travel books. Books have always been a beloved source for helping us all escape the restrictions and restraints of reality. Now, in the modern era of the COVID pandemic, this outlet has become even more useful and cherished. No matter where you are or what you are doing, with the few turns of a page, you can find yourself in a different country, decade, or even reality. If you are looking for books specifically to inspire your wanderlust (or to satisfy your wanderlust), here are a few resources to check out. From the UK Wanderlust publisher, The Best Travel Books of 2020. From Travel and Leisure magazine, 21 Best Travel Books to Inspire Wanderlust. And lastly, from the Smithsonian, The Ten Best Books About Travel of 2020.
3. Cooking and cooking classes. Nothing can conjure up memories and dreams of faraway lands quite like the smells of a delicious dish of food being prepared. Whether you decide to whip up something you've been making for a while or decide to challenge yourself with something new, the kitchen can be one of the best vessels for satiating your desire to travel. While this endeavor might require some stops at different grocery markets, that is all a part of the journey. Here is a website offering live international cooking classes virtually. As well, this article offers a few different ways to access different foods and culinary classes through the comfort of your own home. Or, if you are looking for a more hands-on approach to international cuisine without packing your suitcase, consider looking up local culinary schools that offer either in-person or virtual classes.
4. Take a virtual museum tour. Skip the lines and save yourself from the inevitable jostling for a good view of that classic piece of art. There are SO many museums that now offer virtual tours that you can be transported to just about anywhere in the world with the click of a button. Whether it is the Grand Palais in Paris, France, the Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia, or the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, New York, all are waiting to be explored without you ever having to change out of your pajamas. This article offers an incredibly comprehensive list of museums and their offered tours.
5. Start planning your next excursion. No need to whip out the credit card just yet. Planning your next vacation can be just (about) as exciting as actually going on the vacation itself. Indulge your daydreams and see where you would have to fly into to get to that safari retreat. Learn where you would have to catch your boat for that floating tour of the Seine. Or, pick out the perfect café to finish your walking tour of Buenos Aires at. All of these activities can help you feel like you are traveling and exploring new areas of the world. Then, one day soon, when we can safely hop on those international flights again, you will have all the details set and ready to be booked. Looking for a little more structure to planning your next trip? Check out this article of the 7 Best Trip Planner Apps for Travelers.
We all honestly hope that the days of safe and healthy international travel are not too far off. But, for now, getting creative with the opportunities available from the comfort of our homes will have to do. What would you add to our list? What other ways have you staved off the wanderlust itch this past year? We hope you enjoy a few of these ideas listed and happy (virtual) traveling!
The mission of the Global Leadership League is to ignite change across the global education field by empowering, connecting, and training leaders. We invite you to reach out to us here or learn more about becoming a member.