Have you ever been faced with a tough decision? Like, a decision where you honestly did not know what to choose? How did you end up reaching a conclusion? What helped push you one way over the other? Life is full of these decisions and what we could call 'forks in the road.' But, the beautiful thing is, the paths we end up choosing are what help shape and define our different stories.
Sometimes, when we are faced with tough decisions, making a choice can feel paralyzing and overwhelming, and it can be hard to think clearly about what you should do. Lately, or maybe more specifically over the last two years during the pandemic, most individuals in the global education sector have had to make difficult decisions. These decisions have varied from "should I continue to travel," "should I board that plane," "should I visit that country," or maybe even "should I consider switching my career path." These are all big questions that could be difficult to answer. So, when you are in a tough spot, how do you come to a conclusion?
The next time you struggle with a decision, there are a few concepts that can help you make a choice. A few of these ideas include:
- Going with your gut – when you silence your mind, what is your gut reaction? Don't think, just say… what is it?
- Head vs. heart – Is this a head decision or a heart decision? Which one is the part torn about the decision? Is your heart struggling or your head?
- Who else will be impacted by this decision? Are you the only one who must deal with the outcome of this decision?
- What advice would you give to someone else in your same position?
- What is the worst-case scenario? What is the best-case scenario?
These are just a few outside perspectives to consider when facing a difficult decision. For further reading on the process of making a difficult decision, we recommend this article by Psyche or this article by Centerstone.
The international education industry inherently lends itself to tough decisions. Daily we have to consider numerous factors outside of our immediate surroundings and possibly even outside of our culture. So, when you are faced with a decision where you truly just don't know what to do, how do you approach it?
The mission of the Global Leadership League is to ignite change across the global education field by empowering, connecting, and training leaders. We invite you to reach out to us here or learn more about becoming a member.