There has been SO MUCH going on in our world lately with the pandemic spread of the Coronavirus and COVID-19. Our schedules and day to day activities have been turned on their heads and finding our new daily normal can feel overwhelming.
During these periods of transition and uncertainty the brain needs time to recuperate and relax. Are you giving yourself the permission to take care of YOU? You should be.
STOP trying to behave as if everything is normal and that your life and productivity should carry on as such. These are strange times and creating the space to take care of yourself is important- don’t snub the self-care. As well, taking a detox from the constant barrage of news and social media can be essential. Give yourself permission to take that time in the morning or in the evening, an hour a day, or whatever it is that you need for true self-care. Allow yourself to focus on just you for that moment. We promise, the things that are driving you crazy will still be there after you’re done.
We wanted to share a few self-care ideas that we here at the Global Leadership League are utilizing ourselves to stay healthy and stay sane. These can be done no matter where in the world you find yourself.
- Go for a walk, do yoga, or simply stretch. (10 Simple Yoga Exercises to Stretch and Strengthen)
- Read a chapter of a new book or read a chapter of your favorite book.
- Go outside and sit in the sunshine for 15 minutes.
- Watch a mindless 30 min humorous tv show. There are so many streaming platforms now that offer lots of good options!
- List 5 things you are grateful for at this very moment. Consider listing them out-loud or writing them down. (In Praise of Gratitude)
- List something you can see, something you can hear, something you can smell, something you can taste and something you can touch at that instant. This is a great practice for grounding yourself in the moment. (30 Grounding Techniques to Quiet Distressing Thoughts)
- Music is a wonderful distractor and can change your mood! (Why Do We Turn To Music In Times Of Crisis?)
- Plan for a future vacation. You do NOT need to spend money and you don't need reserve anything. Just take time to explore, plan what you would do if you went, and make fun ideas for the future. (The 12 Best Virtual Vacations You Can Take Without Traveling)
- Utilize aroma therapy. A hand lotion, scented candle, or oil diffuser can all help to lift your mood and tap into sensory relaxation.
- Connect with friends and family virtually. Schedule time to Skype, FaceTime, Zoom, WhatsApp, GroupMe or whatever you may use to stay in contact. Time spent connecting with loved ones is always time well spent. Try this type of call away from your desk!
What other ideas do you have for self-care? Taking care of yourself can look different for every person, but the time and intention behind it is the same for all. We hope all of our friends and colleagues around the world are staying safe and healthy through this new transition in global health.
Lastly, one of the many resources we offer to our Global Leadership League members are Mentoring Circles. These are a great opportunity to make professional connections virtually (especially while we are all currently quarantined!). We invite you to learn more about Mentoring Circles here.
For our members who are already familiar with Mentoring Circles, we are launching a (quite timely) new offering starting July 1st, 2020 on “Navigating Change and Uncertainty.” We invite you to learn more here.
The mission of the Global Leadership League is to ignite change across the global education field by empowering, connecting, and training leaders. We invite you to reach out to us here or learn more about becoming a member.